Saturday, February 14, 2009

"Twenty-three" by MC Lars

Dear Pat People ,

Andrew Nielson (MC Lars), a roommate of Pat's at Stanford, has written a song, which he wanted to share. It's part of his latest album This Gigantic Robot Kills, which has been well reviewed thanks in large part to "Twenty-Three," the song he wrote for Pat. Check out this review, which Andrew sent to me: http://changetherecord.net/2009/01/18/mc-lars-this-gigantic-robot-kills-2/

The album is available on Amazon, but "Twenty-Three" can be downloaded at this link courtesy of Andrew:

http://mclars.com/mp3s/albums/2009%20-%20tgrk/08%20Twenty-Three.mp3

"Twenty-Three" is a lovely tribute, beautifully written and produced. Andrew has dignified the life and death of Pat in an intimate and eloquent way. Please join me in congratulating him for his artistry, and join me also in supporting him by purchasing the album on Amazon.

All my gratitude, Andrew,

Pat's mom


Pat at Stanford



"Twenty-Three"

lyrics by MC Lars

music by James Bourne



I don't sleep, because sleep is the cousin of death



Down the hall, there's a kid that I know

He's kind of quirky so I say hello

He's so sarcastic but he's always right

Working on those problem sets late into the night

Mad magazines sit piled by his bed

A million brilliant thoughts going all through his head

We bike to class in the autumn rain

He tells me that he's fine but I know he's in pain

Pat I miss you dude it's so hard to say goodbye

In Europe last winter you were tired of the lie

Monoxide in the bathroom but the door was locked

We were always there for you, you could have called and talked

I felt guilty and alone and so sick when I discovered

You did it in Berlin, you'd just talked to your mother

I guess it was too much, depression disillusion

Maybe suicide's an answer, but it wasn't the solution



CHORUS:

And I wish that you hadn't done it

Could have won it and moved on from it

And we could have grown old together

But instead you'll always be 23.... 23.



We sat together one night on El Camino

On the bench by the bus stop hiding from El Nino

You told me your secret I just sat there in shock

You couldn't tell your parents, you couldn't break that lock

Cognitive dissonance, trapped in your shell

Depression and regression made your life a living hell

The pain was too intense, the fence too strong to break

So you went to Germany, it was too much to take

You came back broken hearted distracted by the dream

The worlds collided now, college wasn't what it seemed

You went to back to Berlin to find yourself once more

They broke down the door and found you lying on the floor

I took the Amtrak up the coast, your mom met me at the station

I went to see your house and photos of your graduation

We drove to your grave, no tombstone where you lay

Your freshmen yearbook's by your bed and your room's in disarray



CHORUS



(vocal samples recorded spring 2003)



Lars: Ladies and gentlemen, I want you to meet a good friend of mine, this is Patrick Wood!

Pat: What's up Lars?

Lars: What's up Pat?

Pat: How you doing man?

Lars: Good. What do you think of me having my recording equipment take up three quarters of our small room in the Kimball dorm?

Pat: It's no problem man, I love you.

Lars: I love you too Pat.

Pat: Thanks Lars.

Lars: Pat Wood! Hey that's you.

Pat: (Sarcastic laughter)



CHORUS:

And I wish that you hadn't done it

Could have won it and moved on from it

Now we'll never grow old together

But you're in my memory, 23... 23.



Suicide sucks.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. After hearing Pat's voice so many times on Lars' CD, I got so used to it.

Hearing it here in this song, made me cry.

I've never met Pat, nor Lars. Though, Lars is a huge inspiration to me, and this song has truly reached out and touched me.

San said...

This song made me bawl my eyes out, because I've been in Pat's situation, at my worst when I was 23.
Nobody should have to go through that.

Josh Faille said...

I just wanted to let you know that looking up the lyrics to this song led me here.

It really is an amazing song.

Brummlin said...

This touches me in so many ways.

I cry every single time, without fail.

I'm a survivor of an incomplete suicide attempt... I was 26, less than a week after my birthday.

I can only picture what Pat's friends and family must have gone through. I lose it every time I hear the song, picturing my friends and family going through the same.

Lars sums it up simply, but fully, in the final line, "Suicide sucks."

Rofar77 said...

I just heard this song for the first time, sitting in my car waiting for my daughter. It moved me beyond words and I could not get it out of my head.

I searched the Internet for information on the song and found this site.

I pray for Pat's mom, family and friends. It's hard to lose someone you love.

shred09 said...

This song takes the emotions of losing someone like that and expresses them in the proper way. I lost one of my best friends to suicide- he was 14. I found this song shortly after his death- my friend had reccommended another song on the album. I played it for our group of friends- we're all extremely close- and it reduced all of us to tears- even the 18-year-olds in the room who I'd never seen cry before.
Kudos for MC Lars for being able to put those emotions together so well, and my respects to Pat's family- I know how hard it is to go through something like that.

Unknown said...

wow...powerful

Unknown said...

wow...powerful

Unknown said...

he's lucky i bet no one will care whe n i kill myself especally not enoug to make a song for me

sht musik said...

God, what a beautiful song. It puts Eminem´s Stan to shame. It is so incredibly touching hearing Pat´s voice on the track. I don´t know these guys but you don´t have to to hear the person in the voice. He really sounds like what a friend used to refer to as "one of the good ones." My sincerest condolences to Pat´s mom and Lars.